Family and Partner Visa Australia

Partner Visa Australia

Applying for a partner visa Australia is an intricate procedure and relying upon the individual cases a genuine effort and a significant number of documents required to get the approval. You may meet all requirements for a partner visa if you are engaged, married, or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Thinking about applying for your partner visa? then you need perfect guidance for the whole procedure. Here we have put all together with a guide for a Partner/ Spouse /DeFacto visa.


  • Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)
  • Partner Visa Outside Australia (Subclasses 309 and 100)
  • Partner Visa Onshore (Subclass 820/801) Temporary / permanent

If you would like to lodge your Partner visa application on your own be aware it is not as simple as it seems. Kind of Partner visa you should be aware of.

1. Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

This visa allows you to visit Australia to marry your future spouse and then apply for a Partner visa. This visa gives you time for 9 months. This is a temporary 9-month visa for the applicant with plans to get married.

Eligibility to Apply for a Partner visa (Subclass 300)

You must:


  • You must make your early entry to Australia on your Prospective Marriage Visa before you marry your fiancee.
  • You must marry your fiancee until your visa is valid.
  • Both of you must meet up the relationship criteria
  • You must be outside when you apply for the Prospective Marriage Visa.
  • Must Meet Australian Health & character requirements
  • You must apply for a Spouse Visa after your marriage and prior to the expiry of your Prospective Marriage Visa.

2. Partner Visa Onshore (Subclass 820/801)

Partner Visa Subclass 820 (Temporary) 

Partner visa subclass 820 lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia on a temporary basis. Getting this visa is the first step in the direction of a permanent visa (subclass 801).

Length of stay

  • (Subclass 820) temporary Visa you can stay till a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
  • 801 visas, you can stay permanently.


From AUD 7,715

To be qualified for a permanent partner visa you first should be allowed a temporary partner visa. You can apply for both the permanent and temporary visas at a time and pay only one fee. To apply for a partner visa on defacto grounds you, you would usually need to show you have lived with your spouse for 12 months.

Partner Visa Subclass 801 (Permanent)

This visa lets the spouse or the de facto partner of the Citizen of Australia, PR of Australia, or Eligible Citizen of New Zealand to reside in Australia. This visa is mostly for those who already grasp a temporary partner visa or in a long-term relationship with their Australian Partner at the time of the submission.

The time duration for subclass 801 Partner visa is from date of eligibility (2 years after the application is lodged) to decision can be seen here.

Eligibility for the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801)?

  • You Must hold a temporary (subclass 820) Partner visa
  • You must be continued in the spouse relationship
  • Must have satisfied with all Australian laws.

3.  Partner Visa (Offshore Subclasses 309 and 100)

This type of Partner visa allows the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, or permanent resident, to live in Australia.

The temporary Partner visa (Provisional subclass 309) is granted first and allows you to stay in Australia while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 100) is processed.

  1. Subclass 309 Partner Visa

  • This is a temporary visa
  • It directs lead right to the permanent spouse visa
  • You must be outside Australia when you apply   

 Processing times

  • 14 Months: – 75% of applications:
  • 20 Months: – 90% of applications

How long you can stay

Most of the applicants allow staying from 15 to 24 months.

Cost: AUD7,715 for the main applicant. This fee covers both:

  • this temporary visa
  • the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

There is also a fee for each family member who applies for the visa with you unless they hold a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445).

  1. Subclass 100 (Partner Visa) Migrant Visa)

The visa lets the spouse of an Australian citizen, a permanent resident living in Australia permanently. It is usually granted to people who hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 309)

  • This a permanent visa
  • You must hold a temporary spouse visa (subclass 309)

Processing Time

  • 75% of applications: 13 months
  • 90% of applications: 24 months

Applicant document Checklist for a Partner visa

  • Birth certificate
  • A Certified copy of the first page of the passport
  • Photo identification document issued by the government
  • identification pages of family registration.
  • Police certificates
  • Written proof of your long-lasting relationship

Two recent passport size photographs (45 mm x 35 mm):

Proof of change of name, if applicable.
To Apply for Partner visas, Book a Migration consultation to get expert advice.


Call now
for free consultation
Mail now
free consultation
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
Translate »