A points-based permanent visa, the Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa is issued to skilled workers who have not been sponsored by an employer, family member, or nominated by a state/territory. To get a Skilled Independent visa, applicants should get at least 65 points. Applicants are required to submit an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited by SkillSelect to apply for a skilled independent visa.
The highest ranked applicants are the first who are invited to apply for the 189 visa and applicants with equal scores are invited in order of when they reached their points score on their EOI.
Check out the Skilled Occupations List (STSOL-MLTSSL).
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) Requirements:
To successfully apply for this skilled migration visa, you need to first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online and then be invited to apply for the visa.
Once you have been invited to apply, you must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements to qualify for a visa in the General Skilled Migration program.
- Have nominated a skilled occupation that is eligible for this subclass of visa (see eligible occupations);
- Have obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation;
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 45 years of age;
- Have at least competent English language ability;
- Meet the points test pass mark of at least 65 points;
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Steps for Applying for a 491 Visa
- obtain a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation
- submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- wait for your invitation to apply for your Skilled Visa
- apply for your visa
- receive an invitation by the relevant state or territory government agency, if not being nominated by an eligible relative
Here is the list of required documents to apply for 189 visa:
- Obligatory application form
- Passport with photographs
- Skills assessment report
- English language test report in PTE or IELTS
- Skilled occupation documents
- Two color passport-sized photographs
- Documents of education qualification (including highest degree)
- Study requirement of Australia
- Skills of spouses or partners
- Relationship-proof documents
- Good health documents
- Character certificates
- Reference letters from employees
The application cost for Subclass 189 Visa
|Application Fees for Subclass 189 Visa
|Additional Applicant (Partner)
189 Visa Processing Time*
- 25% of applications: 5 Months
- 50% of applications: 6 Months
- 75% of applications: 6 Months
- 90% of applications: 8 Months
Is Subclass 189 A Permanent Visa?
Yes. The Skilled Independent Visa is a stream for Australian PR for all professional workers with the skills required by Australia’s labour market.
How much Points are enough for the Skilled Independent visa?
The minimum cut-off score for the Subclass 189 visa is 65 points.
How long is a Skilled Independent visa valid?
The Subclass 189 visa is a permanent visa. With this, you can live in Australia forever.
What is an Expression of Interest?
The Expression of Interest (EOI) is an applicant’s intimation to the Australian government about their inclination to live in Australia as a permanent resident. Any Applicants willing to apply for the Subclass 189 visa must file an EOI over SkillSelect. There are no fees required for generating and submitting an EOI.
How does the subclass 189 visa differ from 190 visa?
Requirements for these two subclasses vary. While the 189 visa does not need any sponsorship, the 190 visa needs a nomination.
Disclaimer: ‘Rapid Education and visa consultant’ is an independent consulting firm which are not linked in anyway with the Australian ‘Department of Home Affairs’ (DOHA). Info on this website does not constitute personal migration advice. For a tailored migration advice based on your personal conditions, feel free to contact us on 61-3-96630944 our Registered Migration agent.
Service We Offer
We offer expert support right from providing sincere career counseling
and assistance with your visa application