Subclass 884 – Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Temporary) 


Subclass 870

This visa issued to the parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents, allowing them to live in Australia for a maximum of ten years.

Read More


Subclass 884

The subclass 884 Contributory Aged Parent Temporary visa is granted for two years and, in order to remain in Australia permanently

Read More


Subclass 173

This visa subclass 173 lets the parent of a Australian citizen, and permanent resident or  eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia for 2 years.

Read More

What is Subclass 884 Visa

The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884) is a temporary visa that allows the aged parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand Resident to stay temporarily in Australia. You must be IN Australia when you apply for this visa.

Subclass 884 Contributory Aged Parent Temporary visa allows ‘aged parents’ of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia to live temporarily in Australia.

To be classified as an ‘aged parent’, the main applicant must have reached the Australian pension age.

The subclass 884 Contributory Aged Parent Temporary visa is granted for two years and, in order to remain in Australia permanently, subclass 884 visa holders must apply for a subclass 864 Contributory Aged Parent Permanent visa, before the expiry of their subclass 884 visa.

Given the processing time for non-contributory parent visas (currently 30 years plus) in most instances, a Contributory Aged Parent visa is the only practical option to bring an aged parent to Australia to live permanently with their children.

Student Visa

Am I Eligible for the 884 Visa?

Graduation in Australia

In order to satisfy the requirements of the 884 visas, you will need to demonstrate that you meet the following:

  • Have an eligible sponsor (see above) who is willing to provide support for at least two years
  • Be old enough to qualify for the age pension in Australia
  • Meet the balance-of-family test by having
  • At least half of your children residing permanently in Australia; or
  • The majority of your children residing permanently in Australia
  • Meet the health and character requirements

Relationship Evidence Requirements


  • Birth certificates
  • A book showing family relationships
  • Other valid evidence of your relationship

Contributory Aged Parent Visa Document Checklist

  • Your passport.
  • Your birth certificate, stating the names of both your parents. If you cannot provide this, you may submit any of the following:
    • Family registration document
    • An identification document, issued by a government authority
    • An identification document, issued by a court
  • Birth certificates of all the family members included in the application.
  • 4 recent pictures, following the required picture guidelines.
  • The completed Sponsorship for Migration to Australia Form 40.
  • Completed Application Form for Parent Visa (Form 47PA).
  • The birth certificates of all your children, even those who do not live in Australia.
  • For adopted children: Adoption certificate.
  • For any applicants who are or have been married: Marriage certificate.
  • For any applicants who have had a divorce: Divorce documents.
  • For any applicant who is a widow/widower: Death certificate.
  • For any applicant who has changed their name: Documents of the name change.
  • For any applicant who has been in the military: Proof of military service.
  • Proof of the visa fee payment.
  • If the sponsor is not your child: Provide proof of relationship.


884 visa entitlements


    • Live, study, and work in Australia for an indefinite period
    • Get health coverage through Medicare, Australia’s federal health insurance program
    • Apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible)
    • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
    • Leave and revisit Australia for five years from the date visa is granted


Processing Time For Visa Subclass 884


A new Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) application may take at least 12 years to process.


How To Apply for The Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 884)


The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884) costs over $ 33,895 AUD to apply for. To ensure that your application is to get your application done right the first time and to avoid unnecessary delay, use a registered migration agent Mark Pelley – Principal Migration Agent for Visas to Australia. The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884) requires substantial documentation to support claims made in the application. This process can be lengthy and confusing. Failure to correctly apply for the Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884) could result in a rejection from the Department of Home Affairs and having to reapply and pay all costs again.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided here is only for general understanding and does not constitute legal advice. We recommend consulting a Registered Migration agent for further information or checking with the Department of Home Affairs at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-aged-parent-864

Help with your visa!

If you are getting help with your visa, before you pay someone, read information how we can help with your visa application.

Service We Offer

We offer expert support right from providing sincere career counseling
and assistance with your visa application

Visitor & Business Visa

Our migration agent can help you with preparing and lodging a visitor or business visa Application.

Study in Australia

We provide assistance to domestic and international students to enroll and study in Melbourne.

Visa Refusal / AAT Appeal

Is your Australian Visa refused or canceled? Our migration agents can help you lodge an AAT appeal.

Professional Year Program

PYP gives overseas students a pathway from university to professional employment in Melbourne.

Skilled Migration Services

Our expert migration agents can assist with any skilled migration visa application.

Family & Partner Visa

We will carry you through your partner visa or parent visa application.

Call now
for free consultation
Mail now
free consultation
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
Translate »