485 Visa is a temporary visa for international students who have completed 2 years study in Australia. It can be of 18 months or 2 years, depending on the education you have completed.
Great opportunity for students who would like to extend their stay in Australia after completed studies. It also helps those who are seeking to stay in Australia permanently – either through General Skilled Migration or employer sponsorship.
Eligibility Requirement for Temporary Graduate Visa 485
There are two eligibility streams for the Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visa:
- Post Study Work Stream: This stream is for the one who bachelors and masters. It provides visa stay for 2 years. Students need to complete studies at the Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate level which take at least 2 academic years. It lets you live, work and study in Australia, temporarily.
- The Graduate Work Stream: This stream is for the one who completed diploma or certificates. Maximum stays of 18 months from the date of grant. It lets you live, study and works in Australia temporarily.
General Requirement for 485 Visa Subclass
The main applicant must be under 50 at the date of lodgement.
The applicant must have IELTS 6 overall score or and at least 5 in each band;
Study in Australia:
You must meet the 2-year study requirement and have completed qualifications within six months of applying for the visa. (You must hold an eligible visa at the time you apply for this visa, e.g. student visa)
You will need to pass skills assessment in your nominated occupation – this will depend on the occupation and will generally be based on your qualifications, English language ability, and any registration requirements.
Note: Skills assessment is NOT required for the post-study work visa.
You would generally need to pass medicals for a grant for a 485 visa. If you’ve recently applied for a student visa extension, you may be able to re-use these medicals.
You must apply for your 485 visa within 6 months of completion of your studies. You must either hold a student visa when you apply or have held a student visa within most recent a half year.
Specific Requirements for Graduate Work Stream 485 Visa
- Valid only for 18 months
- Each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.
- You must provide evidence that your nominated occupation is on the Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL) and that your skills have been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation.
Specific Requirements for Post-study Work Stream
- 2 years visa can be granted for a Bachelor or Master’s degree, 3 years for Master by Research and a 4 years visa for a Doctorate or Ph.D. degree.
- You must have completed one or more of the following qualifications in Australia: Bachelor degree, Masters, Ph.D., and Doctorate.
- Study resulting in a diploma level qualification or trade qualification will not be considered.
Degree- level courses packaged with a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma course may be considered.
Including Family Members
- You can include the following types of family members in your application:
- Spouses, de facto partners, and same-sex partners
- Dependent children
- If you already hold a 485 visa, you can apply for family members to join you in Australia on 485 visas.
The essential applicant must be in Australia when they make their application for a 485 visa and must have held an eligible student visa within the 6 month period before to lodgement.
Resulting contestants can be in or outside Australia when they apply and when grant them the visa.
485 visa – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.
1. Can I apply for 485 visa offshore?
- If you are the main applicant you cannot apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa 485 offshore!
2. Can I extend my 485 visa?
- When applying for a 485, you must specify which stream you are applying under. This cannot be changed after you lodge. The visa is valid for longer (a minimum of 2 years versus 18 months for the Graduate Work Stream.
3. Can you work on a 485 visa?
- YES, This visa allows you to stay & Work in Australia for up to four years, depending on your qualifications.
If you are worried about how to apply for Graduate Temporary Subclass 485 Visa? Feel free to consult our Migration agent for the advice!