A Complete Guide to Change of Course / University in Australia

Change of course in Australia

Yes! As an international student in Australia can change courses, if currently studying isn’t the best option for your career. If you have decided to change what you’re studying, you may be able to transfer your course internally.

You will always apply directly to the University, but the application process can vary on what you’re studying. if your new course has a higher tuition fee than what you originally chose, then you will be required to pay this fee difference.

Changing Courses after Admission in Australian Universities 2023

Some universities allow course changes post-admission, but others do not. For example, Monash University and the University of Sydney allow students to change their courses after admission and charge transaction fees. However, you will require a “compassionate and compelling reason” along with relevant evidence to be presented.

Most universities in Australia will let you change your course before the term starts without any penalties. For example, Melbourne University will allow you to change your course only if they have not started teaching it. However, once the term starts, most universities will charge a fee of up to $1,000 for changing courses. To avoid this charge, some international students with a study course visa are told that they can get their transfer credit approved by the Academic Office.

When it comes to career choice, nobody can ever be too careful when making a decision. It’s a big decision that affects your future and you need to know all your options before committing to anything. In this post, we’ll take a look at whether there is the possibility of changing course in the university- and if so, what are the rules surrounding it?

Who Can Apply for a Change of Course

it is possible to change courses for a fee. The persons who are eligible for this, in most cases, are current students at that University. If you are not a student at the school, then you are not eligible to make changes since it is impossible to change your course without receiving any credits for the new one.

What are the Rules for Applying for Course Change?

Schools and colleges all have different rules and regulations on this matter. Some colleges allow students to change course choices while some will ask for a letter of explanation and the student’s academic advisor’s signature. Students should always check with their Counsellor about what the specific process is for requesting a change in courses.

What is the Process of Applying to Change Courses?

Normally, the process will involve filling out an application form and submitting it to your university. However, make sure you understand the rules for your university before applying. For example, some universities require you to submit a letter of approval from your original study program in order to apply for a course change.

For University of Melbourne

  1. Check whether you meet all entry requirements of the new course or not. Be mindful of the deadlines.
  2. Do remain enrolled in your current course for now
  3. Apply for the new course
  4. If accepted, enroll in subjects of your new course after checking applicable credits
  5. Now submit a course withdrawal request/application for your current course

For Monash University

  1. At the time of application, you can select three courses and the order of their preference. It is advised to choose them wisely and then add or delete the order of preference when the form is still in drafts. It is the best way to go about it. However, apart from that, you can follow the given steps.
  2. Check what courses are open for transfer applications
  3. Check entry requirements for the new course that you plan on taking
  4. It is a must for international students on a student visa to enroll in a full-time study load i.e., 24 credit points per semester

Ps. if a student is a good performer, he may be able to transfer from another degree at Monash into the first year of their selected course.

For University of Sydney

  1. If you are a coursework student, apply for a transfer right after you receive your semester results. Do not delay.
  2. On your portal, go to “My Studies”
  3. Click on “Course Details”
  4. Finally, press the “Request Course Transfer” option
  5. Provide a reason and upload the relevant documents

How to Prepare Yourself before Applying for Course Changes in 2023?

It is advisable to change of course from the first year. It is important to remember that if you do not meet the requirements for a course change, you may be denied.

If you decide to apply for the change, meet with an advisor before submitting any applications.

You will be required to provide evidence of the new course and pay a tuition fee increase if applicable. If you decide to take a gap year and enroll later, you will also need to find accommodation during this time because universities cannot hold spots for students who don’t attend.

What documents do I need to change to a university or Institute?

There may be some documentation required prior to changing college or university – each institution will be distinct. For example, if you have been studying for less than 6 months, you will require a conventional letter of statement from your current institution, as well as any other essential documents needed by the institution’s policy. You should ask a student visa advisor, as they will be proficient to take you through the transfer guidelines and process.

if you have been studying for over half a year and are changing to the same or higher-level AQF course, your education Institute will inform the Department of Home Affairs and your ImmiAccount will be informed automatically.

Will changing courses affect my student visa?

Your student visa will only be impacted if you’re switching to a lower-level or non-AQF course, as you will need to apply for a new student visa application.

In all other instances, you will only need to apply for a new student visa if your present one is due to expire.

Will the change of university impact my post-study work rights?

In general, switching institutions won’t affect your post-study work. If you’re applying for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485), you simply need to meet certain education and visa requirements.


The information covered in this article is general in kind only and does not represent personal advice.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call now
for free consultation
Mail now
free consultation
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
Translate »