How to extend your stay in Australia during the COVID-19 Pandemic ?

Extend visa Covid19

A lot of Temporary Visa holders (including Work & Holiday 417 & 462) that are currently unable to go back to home countries, wants to extend stay in Australia due to the COVID-19 Travel ban.

How would you extend your stay in Australia due to the Covid-19 Pandemic?

Apply for Student Visa (Subclass 500)

If you are in this situation:

• You cannot return to your home country and your visa is expiring
• You need enough time in Australia to finish your course.

You need to apply for a new Student visa six weeks before your existing Student visa expires.
There is no need to provide evidence of the impacts of COVID-19 with your Student visa application.

If your study in Australia comes to an end, you can apply for a Tourist visa (subclass 600).
But make sure, you must submit the application before your student visa expires.

You may be eligible to apply for an extension for your current course or new Student Visa if you wish to apply for a new course.

Must-Know: How to Convert Visitor Visa into Student Visa

Tourist Visa and Visitor Visa Holders

If You hold a Tourist Visa which is expiring and due to the Travel Ban you are not allowed to travel back to your country, you will have to apply for a new Visa before your current visa expiry date.

Please note that you cannot overstay your current visa and breach the visa conditions, it is essential to lodge a new visa application before the current one expires.

Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) for COVID-19

Australian government has announced a new visa option for those who are unable to depart Australia and to address labor force shortages rising in crucial sectors because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This temporary visa allows you to come to Australia to contribute to events that are endorsed by the Australian Government.

For the period of the event or up to 4 years.

Cost: COVID-19 Pandemic visa: Free


• Meet the usual eligibility criteria for a 408 Visa application (financial support & health insurance)
• Must be in Australia: and
• Hold a visa that is 28 days or less from ending to be in effect or have held a visa that is no more than 28 days from ceasing to be in effect
• Validate that you are unable to apply for the same temporary visa that you hold or any other subclass other than the Subclass 408 visa: and
• Be part of a response to labor force shortages during the COVID-19 pandemic in relation to areas including, but not limited to, healthcare, agriculture, aged and disability care, and childcare or prove that you are unable to return to their home country.


To ensure that you can obtain information about any consular support that your country of origin is offering its citizens. We advise that you register your details to the nearest embassy.

IF YOUR CURRENT VISA IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE CONTACT REGISTERED MIGRATION AGENT IMMEDIATELY! take the necessary steps to legalize your visa status while you, finalize immigration matters or wait for an immigration decision.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call now
for free consultation
Mail now
free consultation
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
Translate »