What Should I Do After My Student Visa Expires or Expired?

Student visa

It is highly advised that you consider your options when your visa expires so that you can go forward on time. You can choose to go back home, remain in Australia, finish your studies, work, or travel. You should carefully analyze your alternatives at least three to six months before your existing visa expires. This gives the processing of visas enough time.

There are ways for you to remain in Australia even if your visa may be close to expiring. It is crucial to consider all of your alternatives and to consult with someone who can provide you with the best guidance based on your particular circumstances.

If your visa has expired or is about to expire, we will explain your two main alternatives in this blog. Let’s check it out!

The most frequent choices are:

  • Obtain a new student visa
  • Change your visa

Apply for a New Australian Student Visa

You will apply a new student visa if:

  • Visa expired before study completion
  • You have already turned in your graduate academic research,
  • You are starting a new academic course.

Must have a current student visa in order to Enrol in Australia as an overseas student.

You will necessitate a new student visa when you intend to continue your studies after your visa expires.

Apply for a new student visa even when your current one has expired in the last 28 days. A Bridging Visa will often be approved for this request.

Upon Completion of Your Studies

There are several choices available to you when your studies in Australia are over. The majority of universities will advise you of your alternatives after you graduate and offer guidance on going home, moving, and finding work. 

You might decide to take one of the following actions:

  • Finish the remaining studies
  • Go back to your country of origin
  • submit a residence application
  • Keep visiting Australia longer

Keep Visiting Australia Longer

For further information, go to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website’s Extending Your Stay page.

If you don’t want to continue your education, you might want to stay in Australia longer so you can work or travel. Although you won’t be granted a student visa anymore, you can still qualify for a variety of other temporary work visas.

For the following explanations, you might want to prolong your stay:

  • Travel: After finishing their education, most students choose to take a break before they go home or start searching for a full-time career. Australia is a big, magnificent, and diverse nation; if you would like to spend a little time experiencing it, getting a tourist visa, which allows you to remain for up to three, six, or twelve months, is an excellent alternative. You must seek a Working Holiday Visa when you want to work to pay for your travel and accommodation.
  • Join Your Commencement Ceremony: Those who want to prolong their presence in Australia so they may join their graduation ceremony there can do so by requesting a tourist visa through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
  • Take a Working Holiday: Applicants for a Working Holiday Visa must be between the ages of 18 and 30 and citizens of recognised nations.
  • Continue to Work For Your Existing Organisation: You are permitted to live and work in Australia for almost as long as you are employed by your present workplace unless they are prepared to endorse you temporarily or permanently under the Employer Nomination Scheme.

Developing Professional Abilities and Gaining Professional Job Experience: The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485), offered by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, enables overseas graduates to continue to stay in Australia after completing their studies in a bid to travel, acquire job experience, or enhance their English language abilities.

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

This is a short-term visa that enables overseas students to continue their studies and work after they have earned their degrees. After completing the studies, the 485 Visa gives you quite a bit of flexibility by allowing you to work, study, and travel briefly in Australia. After your 485 Temporary Working Visa has been approved, family members living outside of Australia may also appeal. These participants must also have legal health insurance.

How Long Would It Take to Obtain My 485 Visa?

The processing period for a temporary graduate visa now ranges from one to four months, but it will also vary depending on the employment stream you are seeking and the nation of origin. One approach to guarantee a smooth application procedure for your visa is to have compliance health insurance. When you wait for the verdict, you can reside and work a full-time job in Australia on a bridging visa (Bridging Visa A or B).

Estimate Process Duration

  • 9 months for 25% of registrations
  • 10 months for 50% of  registrations
  • 10 months for 75% of registrations
  • 12 months for 90% of registrations

Need help with getting Australian Visas or Visa Appealing?

We will assist you by looking into your alternatives for a visa and obtaining applications. We will evaluate your application’s qualification for a student visa as well as provide you with specific advice on your prospects of success. Make an inquiry or schedule an appointment with one of our skilled and knowledgeable migration agents from Rapid Education & Visa Consultants if you would like to go through your visa possibilities and consider your alternatives for obtaining permanent residency. Get in touch with us now!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call now
for free consultation
Mail now
free consultation
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
Translate »